Wednesday, August 4, 2010

More info on the Smoking

So there has been some desire expressed to know more about the equipment, condiments etc. used for the recent smoking extravaganza. We will start with the main component, the smoker.




I own a Char-Griller Super Pro with optional side fire box. My parents bought this for me two years ago for my birthday. I believe they got it from Lowes'. To the right is a picture. Now this smoker is not the greatest out of the box. The factory paint came off almost immediately. I had a cover, but it ripped up in some strong wind. The fire box drawer does not seal well with the box. However, after an easy paint job using CAT exhaust paint (grill paint with a CAT label on it), and some gasket rope around the drawer makes this a very great smoker. The next picture is the fix of drawer.









So for a very long time, I was a Kingsford charcoal and lighter fluid guy. I would not be swayed from this combination for anything. Until Schnucks was out of Kingsford one afternoon and I had to buy the store brand. I found that this worked just as well in smoking as the Kingsford. I have tried the lump stuff, but was unimpressed by the performance vs. the briquettes. See my previous post for how I was turned off of lighter fluid, never will I return. The chimney is where its at, especially for smoking.

A bit more about the hickory. Real logs are the only way to go. I have used the bag stuff you get at the store; worthless. It has no good smoke, is way too dry and under performs even if you soak it in water for days prior to smoking. The natural moisture contained in real logs is the key to good smoke. If you do not have access to logs that you can split yourself; you should be able to buy some from restaurants and grocery outlets that sell house smoked meats. For those of you who live in the Saint Louis area Kenrick's will sell you 10 decent sticks for $10. This may seem expensive, but if used judiciously you can get about 8-10 hours out of them.

Finally, the rub was furnished by Able. He got them at Savory Spice Shop in Boulder, CO. We used two different kinds, one on each section. The first was Pearl St. Plank Rub; a very good rub, but after the smoking one could just barely taste it. I liked this because you could taste so much of the natural pork and smoke. The second was 'Team Sweet Mama's Kansas City Rub.' Now normally I am opposed to anything that has the word Kansas in it, but this rub is extremely good. It has a wonderful sweet beginning and a bit of kick on the back end. I think this was definitely the favorite. We served the pulled pork dry with some Head Country on the side if people wanted.

I hope this satisfies the curiosity of the group.



No comments:

Post a Comment