Saturday, July 10, 2010

Squirrels Permanently Blocked

A few months ago, I started hearing strange noises in the evening and morning. It started with just some general moving around above the master bedroom. My initial thought was that it was a mouse. I proceeded to put some traps out above the garage. After a few days of continued noise and no luck with the traps, the noises began to get more and more aggressive. There began to be some gnawing, then some running and bounding. It became clear that there were squirrels in the attic. I proceeded to buy some strong pepper spray from Lowe's. I intelligently picked a random 90 degree day to spray this throughout the attic. No problems to start with, but as I got deeper and deeper into the portion above the garage, I began to get worried for my health. The pepper spray was unbelievably strong. I had on a safety glasses and gloves for safety. I got to the deepest part where there is a small opening between the two parts of the house. Just as I sprayed into this area there was a puff of wind that put the spray right back into my face. It literally put me on my knees (there is a hole above the garage door to prove it). I instantly began crying and snotting like never before, and had to belly crawl back out to freedom and fresh air. I then sprayed the main attic. This pepper spray did absolutely no good, as the squirrels just got more and more bold in their living above my bedroom. I finally found where they were coming in and promptly blocked it with a spare piece of fire wood. By the time I got home from work, they had chewed a hole in it. I then blocked it with some bricks and boards, and it has been this way ever since. Though this repair is in a place that I rarely if ever see, I know it was amazingly White Trash looking.
While at Ace Hardware today, I stumbled across the gutter guard section. I have been wanting to put some of this up ever since we moved in and jumped on it today. I went with the cheaper plastic model, $6 for 20'. While making my decision, I stumbled on a three foot section of metal guard for $3. This was perfect for replacing the bricks. I installed it this afternoon along with about 15' of the plastic gutter guard. The metal piece worked perfectly; it fit in and I bolted it to the house. It is completely covered by the other, plastic guard. This may seem very minor, but having the ridiculous looking bricks on the roof was really bothering me.

1 comment: