Saturday, October 2, 2010

My Bad...Grilling Update

So I know I have failed to update in a long while, please forgive me. We have been busy, and Audra does such a great job on Zane updates, that I have not had the desire to blog... Until today. Audra is working, so Zane and I have been hanging out, watching OU beat up on Texas. I just put him in his gym (which he loves) and he is really close to rolling over, he can get all the way on his side with one leg on top of the other, I think if he would just kick his top leg over and push his head back, he would get it done. He is too big.


Audra does such a good job of describing Zane's activities, and Fatherhood has not changed much... so how about some grilling updates.


For the first Tiger game (killing of Illinois); I smoked up some ribs. Now ribs are probably my favorite thing to smoke. They don't take a terrible amount of time - 5 hours or so, they are very delicious and everyone loves them. You can also have a lot of variety in the same bunch by seasoning the racks differently. I had four racks for this bunch, two I seasoned with Pearl St. Plank Rub (courtesy of Able) and two I seasoned with a generic rub that consists almost completely of brown sugar.
Going back a bit; I had the butcher remove the membrane from the ribs. I have attempted to do this myself in the past, and did not do nearly as good of a job as the expert. This is key to ribs, many people do not do this. Not only will the membrane make each bite difficult and chewy, the flavor does not get into the meat nearly as well. I let them sit and come to room temperature prior to putting the rub on.


Here is a picture of the ribs, post rub.





















As usual, I used the Hickory wood from down home. Smoking temperature was about 250 degrees F; time was about 4.5 hours.

After the game, the Kingrees stopped by to visit and enjoy some ribs.

No comments:

Post a Comment